About Calvin Church
Signed by seven men, a letter was presented to the consistory of the First Christian Reformed Church of Rock Valley in November 1950. The letter requested the establishment of a second CRC congregation due to overcrowding. Soon thereafter, the Calvin Christian Reformed Church was organized on April 23, 1951. The congregation consisted of eleven families and two individuals.
Our church met in various locations until we were able to begin construction on our first church building at 1616 18th Street in Rock Valley. Many hours of volunteer labor went into the construction of this place of worship.
Our first service was held in the basement on Christmas Day, 1951, with Rev. John C. Ribbens as our first pastor. The completed structure was dedicated on September 4, 1953.
Throughout the years, the Calvin Church steadily grew until it reached a membership of 115 families, causing overcrowding again. Almost directly across from the original building, a groundbreaking for a new church building was held March 30, 1974, on the corner of 17th Ave. and 8th Street. This original building is now the Grace Community Church. The new house of worship was dedicated on August 27, 1975.
Pastors who have served Calvin Christian Reformed Church are Rev. John C. Ribbens (1952-56), Rev. Milton Doornbos (1956-60), Rev. Durant Van Oyen (1960-1965), Rev. John Engbers (1966-78), Rev. Ed Knott (1978-83), Rev. Gerard Van Groningen (1985-91), Rev. Roger Sparks (1991– 2006), and Rev. Gideon Wamala (2007-present).
From the beginning to the present and beyond, may our constant commitment be to the truth of God’s inspired and infallible Word. Truly our God has been faithful to all generations!
We are a part of the Christian Reformed Church
Our Mission Statement
Exalting God through loving worship and Biblical teaching. Evangelizing through faithful witness and exhibiting Godliness through a positive presence in our community.